Monday, January 12, 2015

Just Do It

Girlfriends, as I sat in the examination room of a local clinic on a Sunday afternoon, I realized two things: 1) I must be in a good deal of pain to visit a clinic on Sunday and 2) a small part of my body can cause a big girl like me to cry like a baby.  Here’s the scoop…

My toenail had shown signs of…shall we say…unpleasantness…for some time now.  And if you’ve seen my feet (size 10) or my big toenail (huge), you would know that’s a LOT of unpleasantness!  I had tried all the creams, ointments, and salves out there, but hadn’t been really religious in the application of any.  I’d give each medication a good two days before I would promptly forget all about it.  Then, when it worsened, I’d give the next med another two days of my life.  I finally just gave up and painted it.  If I couldn’t see it, it was o.k.  So…believe it or not…it got worse….much worse…until I found myself waiting on a doctor I had never met to look at my ugly, inflamed, throbbing toenail and prescribe something.  At this point, I was willing to see the med through…no matter how long it took.

Girlfriends, the doc walked in and the first words out of her mouth were, “We’re going to have to cut it off.”  Whoa.  Wait.  What???!!!  Uh --- NO!  Where’s my cream?  Where’s my ointment?  Where’s my pill?  I promise to take them all faithfully!  She said, “Yeah…no.  Maybe last week that would’ve worked.  Not today.  Come with me to the Procedure Room.”  Hold it, Lady!  I don’t want to see the inside of ANY room called the Procedure Room!  I want my mommy!!!

I summed all the courage I had left in my body and said with all the dignity I could manage, “I’ve got to pee first.”  My bladder, after two kids, isn’t such that you want me to be on “full” before we start anything painful.  She kindly showed me to the restroom where I took the moment to ponder my predicament.  Should I sneak out?  Should I man up?  Should I fake another more serious illness to get their minds off my toe?  Should I call Clay to come get me?  No, Carrie Elizabeth Turner Thomasson, you got yourself into this mess and you’re going to have to see it through!

So, I grabbed my purse and my big girl panties and exited the restroom to be shown to the Procedure Room.  Let me just say there was a little bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth going on in there.  And as I hobbled to my car, made my way home to Clay and the babies, and then learned that the only pharmacy open wouldn’t have my prescribed pain-killer until the next day, I realized something more…

If I know I should do something (like take care of my toenail) and I don’t, it’s just wrong…and I WILL have to suffer the consequences.

Kinda reminds me of James 4:17.

Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.

Let me encourage you, Girlfriends.  When you know and see something good to do, just do it.  It’s less sinful and certainly less painful...just ask my toe.

Quietly gentled,
Carrie.       

No comments:

Post a Comment